A number of artefacts found on the site of a medieval building complex just outside Wellington, have gone on display at Wellington Museum. This follows archaeological work, carried out last year by Wessex Archaeology on behalf of Bloor Homes at the Longforth Farm housing development.
The items include floor tiles, which would have been used to create a highly decorative floor surface, glazed ceramic roof ridge tiles and pieces of pottery. The items are clearly from a structure that was built to show off power, status and wealth. Also on display are a number of information panels, explaining the background to the complex. During the archaeological work, extensive engagement took place with the local community, which saw workshops with schools, tours of the site for local historical groups and a community open day, attended by over 1400 people.
Research so far has been unable to find out who owned the building complex or any records relating specifically to it. One possibility is that it belonged to the Provost of Wells Cathedral, and was perhaps largely abandoned in the 14th century when the Bishops may have established their court within the nearby and then relatively new market town of Wellington.
More artefacts are on display at the Bloor Homes show home at the Longforth Farm development, Taunton Road, Wellington, TA21 9HG.
09 June 2014